Monday, July 6, 2009

"I hope u still love me!"

Speaking on ministry with High School students. (and love as in brotherly love, phileo)

Today I was texting with a friend. I have been hoping/praying that this friend would go to Young Life's Windy Gap camp with me next week. I asked him if he was still thinking about going and he responded, "I can't. I hope u still love me!"

My response was that of course I still love him... you see I tend to think of love as a choice. First, I don't befriend someone so that I can get them to do something. That is not friendship, that is using someone. And trust me, I see enough of teenagers getting used and using eachother to try that. Second, I view love as something that is for the long haul. Sure, if the kid completely does a 180 and becomes a complete asshole I probably will give 'em some distance. Beyond that, if a someone gives me the time to choose to love them, I'm gonna be loyal. I think it is only right.

*****************************************

So, not sure where all of that came from. That text just kinda stuck with me today. I am pretty excited to see what the rest of my summer will hold. Camp next week, then three days, then BOSTON! I can't wait for both of those. After that school will sneak up on me... boohoo.

No comments: